Saturday, November 17, 2007

Just cus I feel like it

Herein lies the account of Dingo Dave and the finding of the Food Of Power!

No, not really... I just thought I'd give everyone the first recipe I posted back on my other blog. I'll eventually be copying all the recipes over to here (hear) so that all my many thousands of (k)new readers don't have to trouble their tired fingers by scrolling through the archives. Ain't I nice?


FIRST RECIPE!

I got the original version of this from a book called Real Beer and Good Eats. I had originally bought the book as a pressie for a friend, then I saw how good it was and decided to keep it. I bought him a drink-mixing book instead and he was happy (we both were, it was a great party).

I modified the recipe to make it a helluva lot easier and quicker, so I think it counts as one of mine, eh?

Dave's beer and bleu cheese toasted croutons:

What you need:

Croutons (duh) --check out this footnote **

Olive oil (without poppy (popeye) seed --did you get it? nudge, wink)

Bleu cheese (double duh)

a beer --light lager or light pilsner is fine (that means cheap crap)

**Make your own croutons, any flavour (flavor), it's easy. Take a slice or two of fresh bread and cut it into crouton sized pieces (don't use a serated bread knife for this, you'll only end up tearing the bread if you do). Chuck in whatever seasonings you want (salt, white pepper, lemon pepper, cayenne powder, ground coriander (cilantro) and so on). Toss it all in a wok, add some olive oil, crank the burner up and lightly toast them suckers. Poof, instant croutons.
 




What you do:


Crumble 50 to 100 grams (gms) (1 1/2 to 3 ounces (oz)) of bleu cheese in a bowl.
Add a tablespoon or two of beer. Mix and mash the concoction. Then nuke (microwave) in 20 second increments (stir between increments) until you have a thick (or thin: more beer=thinner sauce) bleu (blue) cheese goop (sauce).

Lightly coat a baking tray with olive oil, then spread croutons on the baking tray. Drizzle the bleu cheese goopy sauce over the croutons (the ones on the tray, dummy) and chuck that tray in the oven. Hmmm, 200 C (392 F) for around 12-15 minutes (720-900 seconds) should do the trick. They'll be done when they are crispy and lightly browned.

Drink the rest of the beer and eat the bleu cheese croutons (you could have figured this step yourself, eh?).



So, like whaddya think? Easy stuff, right? Don't worry, they get more interesting... I promise!

No comments: